ELTEC’s Pedestrian Crossing Systems are designed to alert approaching motorists that a crosswalk is occupied. Activation of the signals is initiated by either a pole mounted push button, motion sensor or camera. Signal activation time is adjustable; determined by the local signal technician.
Any pedestrian crossing system may be either AC or DC (solar powered). If solar powered is used, the signals/beacons are never programmed to dim (losing their effectiveness) on cloudy days or due to insufficient power. Daytime dimming of any signal is against FHWA (Federal Highway Administration) standards. As specified by the FHWA: “it is not acceptable to dim signal indications or flashing beacons during daytime conditions….” Dimming signals at night is acceptable and advised when light is low or limited thus helping to prevent driver night blindness.
Every ELTEC solar sizing report incorporates geographic location and system loads. At ELTEC, we do not agree that ‘one size fits all’. Our reputation is for robust, high quality with low maintenance pedestrian crossing system at a competitive price.
Each pedestrian system is designed and manufactured to each traffic project specification. We offer wireless communication between poles (on the opposite side of the street) eliminating the need to trench and run conduit for hard-wiring. If the traffic plan requires it, multiple signals from one activation point can be instantly turned ON, including medians or advanced warnings up the road.
- Jogging/running paths
- Hiking Trails
- Horse Trails
- Cyclists Crossings
- Golfers including Carts
- Middle-of-the-block Crossings
We design and manufacture three styles of pedestrian crossings:
STANDARD (ROUND SIGNALS/BEACONS)
This system provides a crosswalk with CAUTION signal using round amber flashing beacons (either 8” or 12” diameter). It can be configured with one or two LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) per pole.
A typical installation consists of two or more poles. Each pole supports a small cabinet that houses the electronic controls. As noted above, activation of the beacons has multiple options. If it is solar powered, the cabinet also contains a solar charge controller and battery. A solar panel with a rack (either side-of-pole or top-of-pole) is mounted on each pole.
RECTANGULAR RAPID FLASHING BEACONS (RRFB)
Studies have shown using RRFB indications significantly increases motorist compliance to “yield to pedestrians” (80%-95%) compared to 15%-20% with standard round flashing signals. For more information peruse our RRFB web page.
PEDESTRIAN HYBRID BEACON (a.k.a HAWK)
When a RYG traffic signal is not justified (under MUTCD guidelines), or a decision to not install a traffic control signal is determined, a hybrid or HAWK pedestrian crossing offers greater pedestrian safety by stopping traffic—not only a warning. Motorist and pedestrians both benefit with this system when there’s significant pedestrian density, higher vehicle speeds, or a wide street or highway.
A pedestrian hybrid beacon is a special type of beacon (2 red LEDs on top; 1 amber LED below). It is used to warn and control traffic at marked, un-signalized crosswalks to assist pedestrians crossing a street or highway. For more information visit our web page: http://elteccorp.com/warning_systems/hawk-hybrid-pedestrian-crosswalk/
All ELTEC pedestrian crossings and traffic warning systems meet the Federal Highway Administration’s MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) and ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) standards.
A standard system includes poles, flashing beacon(s) with visor or RRFB light bars, pedestrian push button and electronics cabinet with pre-assembled wiring for easy installation along with installation documentation.
- AC or DC solar powered
- System flexibility: Tailored to meet requirements
- Optional: Custom powder coating of cabinets, pole, hardware, etc.
- Programmable Timed Crossing
- CAUTION (amber) or STOP (red) Alerts: no price difference
- 8” or 12” LED Signal Heads: no price difference or Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) Light Bars See RRFB Light Bars & Systems
- No maintenance battery: sealed gel or AGM
- AC: optional battery back-up
- Solid State Flasher
- Meets MUTCD and ITE Standards
When AC power is not available or practical, solar power is the solution. ELTEC’s solar powered Pedestrian Crossing System is sized for geographical location and electrical load for optimal effectiveness guaranteeing sufficient power for the flashing beacons the light intensity never fades! Below are additional features for (DC) solar units.
- Self Contained
- Top or Side-of-Pole Mounting Rack
- No Power Interruption
- No Trenching or Boring Cable
- No Electrical Bills
- Electrical Contractors/Technicians Not Required for Installation
- High Efficiency Self Cleaning Solar Modules Warranted for 20 Years
- Controller with LCD display showing battery & solar array voltage, output and load current
- Solid State Flasher. See FS-2A Flasher
- Sealed Gel or AGM Sealed Deep Cycle Batteries Warranted for 5 Years (pro-rated)
- Sized by Computer Program: Ensures Power Generated meets/exceeds Load Requirements
- LED Light Intensity is Not Reduced as a Function of Battery Voltage—Lights Stay Bright!
- Flash Rate is Constant at Selected Rate: Does Not Vary as a Function of Battery Voltage