ELTEC’s Pedestrian Crossing System (EPCS) is designed to alert motorists approaching a point in the road where pedestrians cross that it’s occupied.
- Jogging/running paths
- Hiking Trails
- Horse Trails
- Cyclists Crossings
- Golfers including Carts
- Middle-of-the-block Crossings
The system can provide either CAUTION (amber) flashing lights including the Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFB) or STOP (red) lights. It can be configured with one or two LED’s (Light Emitting Diodes) per pole or the new RRFB light bars. See RRFB
light bars & systems for more information.
The EPCS is activated on demand with a pole mounted push button. The “ped push button” activates a radio transmitter turning on flashing LED signal heads on the opposite side of road(s) eliminating the need to run power lines or tear up pavement.
The transmitter can turn on multiple signals with one push button. Each receiver and transmitter has an individual address code, activating only receivers with the matching code. Any number of receivers can be set to a single address code. The signal has the capability to be received miles away with line-of-sight transmission. Because of this feature in some instances the flashing beacons are positioned further down the road away from the actual crossing. Once activated, the signals remain ON for a pre-set time period (from 1 second to 100 hours.)
Because flashing light activation is WIRELESS between poles, no trenching or boring to run wires/cables or a conduit is necessary.
An ELTEC Pedestrian Crossing System may be AC or DC solar powered.
A typical installation consists of two or more poles. Each pole supports a small cabinet that houses the electronic controls along with a pole mounted push button for the pedestrians. The electronics consist of a flasher, transmitter, receiver and timer. If the unit is solar powered, inside the cabinet a charge controller and battery are added, and a solar panel with a rack (either side-of-pole or top-of-pole) is mounted on each pole.
ELTEC’s EPCS systems meet the Federal Highway Administration’s MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) and ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) standards.
A standard system includes poles, flashing beacon(s) with visor or RRFB light bars, pedestrian push button and electronics cabinet with pre-assembled wiring for easy installation along with installation documentation.
- AC or DC solar powered
- System flexibility: Tailored to meet requirements
- Optional: Custom powder coating of cabinets, pole, hardware, etc.
- Programmable Timed Crossing
- CAUTION (amber) or STOP (red) Alerts: no price difference
- 8” or 12” LED Signal Heads: no price difference or Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) Light Bars See RRFB Light Bars & Systems
- No maintenance battery: sealed gel or AGM
- AC: optional battery back-up
- Solid State Flasher
- Meets MUTCD and ITE Standards
When AC power is not available or practical, solar power is the solution. ELTEC’s solar powered Pedestrian Crossing System is sized for geographical location and electrical load for optimal effectiveness guaranteeing sufficient power for the flashing beacons the light intensity never fades! Below are additional features for (DC) solar units.
- Self Contained
- Top or Side-of-Pole Mounting Rack
- No Power Interruption
- No Trenching or Boring Cable
- No Electrical Bills
- Electrical Contractors/Technicians Not Required for Installation
- High Efficiency Self Cleaning Solar Modules Warranted for 20 Years
- Controller with LCD display showing battery & solar array voltage, output and load current
- Solid State Flasher. See FS-2A Flasher
- Sealed Gel or AGM Sealed Deep Cycle Batteries Warranted for 5 Years (pro-rated)
- Sized by Computer Program: Ensures Power Generated meets/exceeds Load Requirements
- LED Light Intensity is Not Reduced as a Function of Battery Voltage—Lights Stay Bright!
- Flash Rate is Constant at Selected Rate: Does Not Vary as a Function of Battery Voltage