School Zone Beacon Systems: AC & Solar
Since 1968 ELTEC has been a leading provider of programmable time clocks for the flashing beacons in School Zones. A system can be configured with one or two amber/yellow flashing signals per pole. Some municipalities require a “tattle tail” light, which faces the opposite direction of the signals. It confirms to authorities that the school lights are indeed ON/working as scheduled.
An ELTEC School Zone System may be AC or DC solar powered.
The signals are activated by a time clock, which has been programmed for the entire school year. For time clock options, see NTC-17E or SYSTEM 3000. For information on ELTEC’s DC flasher, click FS-2A.
In some cases the school zone layout is best served by using a MASTER cabinet which communicates with the SLAVE units positioned around the parameter of the school ground to turn ON/OFF the flashing beacons at the scheduled times. Because the flashing light activation is wireless between poles, no trenching or boring to run wires/cables or a conduit is necessary.
A typical installation consists of two or more poles,
one facing each direction. Each pole supports a cabinet that houses the electronic controls, a programmable time clock, and a flasher.
If the unit is solar powered, the cabinet also contains a solar charge controller and a battery. A solar panel with a rack (either side-of-pole or top-of-pole) is mounted on each pole.
Each pole is support by a break-a-way base with a pole collar for added strength.
Mounting hardware for the cabinet and signal heads is determined by the size and type of pole (aluminum, galvanized steel or wood) used.
ELTEC’s School Zone Systems meet the Federal Highway Administration’s MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) specifications and ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) standards.
A standard system includes poles, flashing beacon(s) in housing heads (polycarbonate or aluminum) with visors and an electronics cabinet with a time clock, flasher and pre-assembled wiring for easy installation.
- AC or DC solar powered
- System flexibility: Tailored to meet requirements
- Programmable flashing with ELTEC time clock
- 8” or 12” LED Signal Heads: no price difference
- AC: optional battery back-up
- Meets MUTCD specifications and ITE Standards
When AC power is not available or practical, solar power is the solution. ELTEC’s solar powered School Zone uses high efficient solar panels that come with a 20 year warranty. Each system is sized for geographical location and electrical load for optimal effectiveness guaranteeing sufficient power for the flashing beacons—the light intensity never fades! Below are additional features for (DC) solar units.
- Self Contained
- Top or Side-of-Pole Mounting Rack
- No Power Interruption
- No Trenching or Boring for Cable
- No Electrical Bills
- Solid State FS-Flasher
- Maintenance Free AGM battery: 5 year pro-rated warranty
- Electrical Contractors Not Required for Installation
- Solar Charge Controller with LCD Display showing Battery Voltage, Charge Current, and Load Current
- High Efficiency Self Cleaning Solar Modules: 20 Year Warranty
- Sized by Computer Program: ensures power-generated meets/exceeds load requirements. ELTEC supplies a solar analysis report at no cost
- Signal Light Intensity is NOT Reduced as a Function of Battery Voltage during Long Operating Time. Beacons Stay Bright and Effective!
- Flash Rate is Constant at Selected Rate: does NOT vary as a function of battery voltage